Category: News & Updates

Updated: May 24, 2016 at 8:00pm

As the troops of Joint Task Force Zampelan headed by Brigadier General Rolly Bautista continue to zero-in on Maute members in Marawi City since yesterday afternoon, Government forces were able to take hold of the different areas that were reportedly held by some Maute members since last night.

At three in the afternoon today, the Amai Pakpak Hospital where Maute members accordingly occupied and held captive some seventy-eight civilians (8 patients, 49 construction workers, and 21 hospital staff) was already declared cleared of Maute presence.

Yesterday afternoon, members of Maute allegedly came to the hospital and shot dead one policeman and a security guard before they entered the hospital premises.

According to sources, the militants were bringing along with them two wounded members and sought medical care from the hospital staff upon their arrival. On the process, they also held captive all 78 civilians in the hospital.

In other areas, the Dansalan College in which one of the school buildings was burned last night, was also declared cleared of the Maute threat as of this afternoon after soldiers were able to rescue forty-two teachers of said school who were trapped.

Unfortunately, while in the course of these rescue operations, five soldiers were killed and 31 were wounded while making sure that civilians be brought to safety.

Also, one policeman who was driving a police vehicle was killed yesterday afternoon by the militants.

As of six pm tonight, there were thirteen Maute members who were killed (two cadavers recovered) and an M16 rifle was recovered by the government forces.

Soldiers were also able to recover a number of Improvised Explosive Devices’ components from a safehouse that was previously occupied by the terrorist group.

Earlier this morning, hundreds of residents from Marawi were seen fleeing from the City towards Iligan City, with combined AFP and PNP personnel facilitating their safe and speedy passage.

Likewise, safety procedures like check points/inspections were conducted along routes to ensure that no terrorist elements can mix up with Internally Displaced Persons.

As of this report, soldiers and policemen are still in the area acting on information provided by concerned residents.

“Terrorism problem is something we all have to battle together as one humanity which is strongly against it,” says Lieutenant General Carlito G Galvez, Jr, Commander of the Western Mindanao Command.

“Many people in Marawi and in other areas are denying the presence of a looming terrorism threat in their communities. Sadly, we even received reports that there were even politicians supporting the group in some way.”

“These threat is something that needs to be eliminated and completely destroyed because if left to thrive, it will soon poison our communities and take our freedom and our precious lives away from us.”

“We are therefore calling on all citizens not only those in Marawi but also in other areas of Mindanao to join us in the fight. We have to make noise and disallow these terrorist to destroy our communities. Let us all make a strong stance against this menace before it gets us,” adds Lieutenant General Galvez.

“We would like to pay tribute to our soldiers who perished and made the ultimate sacrifice while delivering their duty to the nation. I am saddened by this loss, but their story will forever be etched in the pages of history. They will be known as heroes who defended Marawi from the claws of terrorism.”

Read Full Article

In the wake of an incident in Marawi City where the presence of a local terrorist group was reported, BGen.Rolly Bautista, Commander of Philippine Army’s 1st Infantry (Tabak) Division announced that the military and the local government unit in Marawi City are on the top of the situation.

“We have efficiently implemented necessary measures to secure vital installations in Marawi City and prevented the local terrorist group to sow violence in the area. We ensure the continuous protection of the people of Marawi City against lawless elements,” BGen. Bautista said.

Read Full Article

Armed Forces of the Philippines – West Mindanao Command statement as of 9:00PM (May 23, 2017)

The situation in Marawi is under full control of the City Officials. Our soldiers continue to conduct mopping up operations to clear Marawi from remnants of the Maute in order to protect our citizens.

There are data that are coming out from different social media platforms and via text message that are far from the truth and are clearly disinformation to paint an atmosphere of chaos in the city in order to sow fear and panic among the populace at the national level and put the country in deep embarrassment internationally.

We strongly advise the public to be wary of such disinformation and listen only to authorities and respectable media outfits in order to know the truth.

Let us not propagate such disinformation and let us help Marawi City to full recover the soonest time possible.

Read Full Article

The Department of Trade and Industry launched the NEGOSYO Center, an office to serve the needs of micro, small and medium enterprises in the province of Lanao del Sur from business permits to products and services showcasing, in Marawi City on May 19, 2017.

MSME advocate lawmaker Senator Bam Aquino graced the event. The senator’s presence is an indication of the government’s strong commitment in building confidence among the constituents that Marawi City is at par with other cities in furthering inclusive socio-economic development.

“The opening of the NEGOSYO Center is a testament that peaceful market access is in place in Lanao del Sur, a result of our successful collaboration and partnership with various sectors in the fight against lawlessness and terrorism that bring challenges to business owners,” Brig. Gen. Rolando Joselito D. Bautista, Commander of Philippine Army’s 1st Infantry (Tabak) Division said.

“In the occasion of the launching of NEGOSYO Center in Marawi City and for the rest of Lanao del Sur, I would like to assure you of the full support of the Philippine Army in providing the necessary measures in ensuring peaceful market access and linkages of our micro, small and medium enterprises in their services delivery to our countrymen in this province,” BGen. Bautista said.

In order for Lanao del Sur to pursue economic growth, constituents should be secured and peace should be ensured for the business community. Marawi City can be a good template where soldiers and local government units fight side by side against peace spoilers and lawless elements that may bring challenges to peaceful operations and market access for business owners, according to BGen. Bautista.

“Marawi City in the province of Lanao del Sur has an important role in the history of our beloved country. Marawi is a source of inspiration for unity and bravery against foreign intruders. It is one of the few territories in our country that stood strong against the Spaniards and held its stronghold to drive away the invaders, values that are truly worth emulating,” BGen. Bautista said.

“Your Philippine Army in Lanao del Sur is sincerely working to the best of our abilities in fulfilling our mandate in serving the people and securing the land. We are one with the aim of NEGOSYO Center in providing better and more efficient services to business owners,” BGen. Bautista said.

Read Full Article

Kuta Sang-an, Labangan Zamboanga del Sur, May 16, 2017- Two New People’s Army (NPA) rebels voluntarily surrendered to 53rd Infantry Battalion, 102nd Infantry Brigade, 1st Infantry (Tabak) Division, Philippine Army on May 16, 2017 in Guipos, Zamboanga del Sur.

According to reports from the ground, the two NPA members identified as Rey Anthony Dungog a.k.a. Mark and Alvin Calibo a.k.a. Jason belong to Mindanao Regional Guerrilla Unit, Western Mindanao Regional Commitee. Dungog and Calibo were unarmed when they surrendered.

Due to relentless Focused Military Operations of government forces, the surrenderer’s group was forced to be always on the run to escape. Lack of food supply and decreasing mass base support contributed to the weakening of their will to fight.

Dungog and Calibo said they realized that joining the “revolution” only made them suffer and experience hardship, pains, and agony of long time dislocation from their families.

According to Brigadier General Rolly D. Bautista, Commander of the 1st Infantry (Tabak) Division, Philippine Army, the NPA in Zamboanga peninsula and elsewhere are on the run and they have realized that fighting the government is useless.

Brig. Gen. Bautista said the government offer rehabilitation programs for NPA members who will surrender and come back to the folds of the law.

Read Full Article

The 1st Infantry (Tabak) Division of the Philippine Army in coordination with the Philippine Shooters Match Officers Confederation – Northern Mindano is set to hold the Commander’s Cup Rifle and Pistol Shooting Competition – Level 2 PSMOC Sanction Match on May 20-21, 2017 at the H1ID Firing Range, Upper Pulacan, Labangan, Zamboanga del Sur.

Registration fee for civilian is Php 800.00 and for Lawman is Php 400.00.

For more details, please contact Major Jelson Buyuccan at mobile number: 0917-4028456 or Major Francis Velarmino at mobile number: 0917-5342423.

Read Full Article

Kuta Major Cesar L Sang-an, Pulacan, Labangan, Zamboanga del Sur, May 11, 2017 – The most wanted New People’s Army (NPA) commander in Western Mindanao was arrested by troops in Barangay Gango, Ozamiz City at about 6:00 PM today (May 11, 2017).

Combined troops of the 102nd Infantry Brigade of the 1st Infantry (Tabak) Division, Philippine Army together with the elements of Philippine National Police (PNP) Provincial Office of Ozamiz City arrested Rommel Salinas alias VENCIO/BETO/CARLOS/DOMING/ARTEM/MARK. Secretary of SECOM SENDONG, Western Mindanao Regional Party Committee by virtue of five warrants of arrest for the following crimes docketed:

  • CC# 9707 for Destructive Arson issued by RTC, 10th Judicial Region, Br 32;
  • CC# 9552 for Murder issued by RTC, 10th Judicial Region, Br 29;
  • CC# 9705 for Frustrated Murder issued by RTC, 10th Judicial Region, Br 32;
  • CC# 9600 for Attempted Murder issued by RTC, 10th Judicial Region, Br 32; and
  • CC# 9708 for Robbery in Band issued by RTC, 10th Judicial Region, Br 30.

Recovered from his possession were a hand grenade and personal belongings.

Salinas who did not put up a fight was with two companions and a driver when arrested and were brought to PNP Ozamis City.

Salinas’ companions were identified as Bishop Carlo Morales of the Aglipayan Church, his wife Maria Teofifina Morales, and their driver Sadome Dalid. They were onboard a maroon Starex with plate number 151010 when arrested.

According to Brigadier General Rolando Joselito D Bautista, Commander of the 1st Infantry (Tabak) Division, Philippine Army, the NPA in Zamboanga peninsula and elsewhere were involved in numerous atrocities nationwide especially in Mindanao particularly arson, extortion, killings, and abduction.

Salinas being a Front Secretary of the NPA is reportedly involved in numerous high profile crimes against the people and humanity.

“Best coordination work from the community, LGU, PNP, and the Army led to the capture of one of the highest ranking CPP-NPA leader in Western Mindanao,” said Bautista.

Read Full Article

Headquarters Western Mindanao Command, Camp Navarro, Calarian, Zamboanga City, May 10, 2017 – The 1st Infantry (Tabak) Division, Philippine Army under the leadership of Brigadier General Rolando Joselito D. Bautista will recruit 500 more army personnel from applicants who will undergo military training this year.

The recruitment is part of the Transformation Roadmap of the Philippine Army in order to beef-up its personnel nationwide. For 2017, the Armed Forces of the Philippines branch will be recruiting 10,000 personnel.

Applications are open to all with the following qualifications:

1) A natural-born citizen of the Philippines;
2) At least 18 to 26 years old before the date of appointment as a candidate soldier;
3) At least 5’0 or 60 inches in height;
4) Single and without a child;
5) Of good moral character;
5) Physically and mentally fit for military training; and
6) With at least 72 units in college, or, if a high school graduate, must possess technical skills needed by the Armed Forces of the Philippines.

The following documents are required upon application:

1) Original copy of Transcript of Record and Diploma for college graduates;
2) Form 137 for high school graduates; and
3) Original copy of birth certificate with official receipt from the National Statistics Office.

Candidate soldiers who are accepted in the initial application must pass the pre-qualifying Physical Fitness Test and Physical Medical Examination.

Applications will be accepted starting this month of May 2017 for the oath-taking ceremony scheduled in October 2017.

“All those who are interested can proceed to the nearest Brigade and Division headquarters for inquiries,” said Brigadier General Rolando Joselito D. Bautista, Commander of the 1st Infantry (Tabak) Division, Philippine Army.

The Philippine Army reiterates that no monetary requirement was set for the filing of application. Applicants will not be required to pay any application fee.

“The application is free. Kahit sino na makapasa sa requirements na naitalaga ay pwedeng-pwede na mag apply at wala pong bayad yun (Anyone who can comply with the requirements can file their applications for free.),” BGen Bautista said.

“Kinakailangan kayo ng inyong Army. Kaya huwag kayo mag atubiling mag-apply (You are needed by your Army. Please don’t hesitate to apply.),” BGen Bautista said.

More details on Philippine Army recruitment can be accessed at this link: http://teamtabak.com/2017/01/25/join-philippine-army/

Read Full Article